Super useful and totally free travel guides to USA
Why We Love USA – As an American myself, I often get asked about traveling the USA by foreigners I meet on the road. And I always say the same thing: treat travel to the United States like you would travel to the European Union. In many ways there is as much of a difference between visiting New York City vs. Texas as there is between visiting Paris vs. Poland. The United States is so large and populous that you can find any kind of travel experience you want, just realize there will be many differences to your experience depending on where in the USA you plan to travel. Of course, all that just means there is more to see and makes it more exciting to explore!
Best of USA
With some of the most exciting cities and gorgeous landscapes on the planet, the USA is loaded with destinations for every type of traveler. Some of the most popular places to visit include:
- Denver – You’ll come to Denver for the easy mountain access but stay for the scenery, nightlife, and endless list of fun things to do.
- California’s Coast – With sprawling beaches, renowned cities, craggly cliffs, and vinyards, visiting the California Coast should be high on your USA bucket list.
- Washington D.C. – The capital of the United States, Washington District of Columbia is the perfect destination to learn about the nation’s past and present through a governmental lens.
- Florida – Home to the Florida Keys, Disney World, the Kennedy Space Center, and some of the countries best parties, you’ll never be far from saltwater in the Sunshine State.
- Puerto Rico – Full of waterfalls, forests, exciting cities, and culinary masterpieces, Puerto Rico is the perfect Caribbean island for an adventure.
✨ Things to Do
From sightseeing famous monuments to hiking some of the most unique landscapes on the planet, there are endless fun things to do in the United States. Here are some of our faves:
- The Grand Canyon – Larger than the state of Rhode Island, Arizona’s The Grand Canyon is one of the top natural wonders of the United States.
- Walt Disney World – Within close proximity to the Florida cities of Orlando and Kissimmee, Walt Disney World is a resort comprised of theme parks, water parks, hotels, entertainment venues, and so much more.
- Yellowstone National Park – Primarily located in Wyoming, Yellowstone is known for its geothermal properties and array of wildlife.
- The Statue of Liberty – A national monument located in New York Harbor, The Statue of Liberty represents democracy, freedom, and friendship.
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial – Located in Black Hills, South Dakota, this national memorial features the carved likeness of four notable presidents and is a symbol of democracy.
USA Travel Advice
🗓️ Best Time to Visit
The USA can be visited any time of year, but it depends on your goals and where you are going. If visiting the Northeast cities like New York and Washington D.C., the months of May to September generally offer the best weather. The Rocky Mountain region is especially beautiful during the fall months, while southern destinations like Florida, Texas, and Las Vegas can be visited year-round.
Other than the occasional mugging incidents or petty theft that are common to a lot of tourist destinations, the USA is generally a place with relatively low crime rates against tourists. While most travelers will visit without incident, travelers should be aware that in many parts of the USA there is a tragic and systemic problem of police brutality, particularly against black and brown communities.
👉 Tips & Things to Know
- 🛑 – Research State Laws – Laws pertaining to driving, alcohol, short-term apartment rentals, etc. differ widely from state to state. A little reserach goes a long way.
- 🚗 – USA Drives on the Right – Like elsewhere in North America, the USA drives on the right and passes on the left.
- ⚖️ – The Imperial System – One of just a few countries in the world to do so, the USA uses the Imperial System of measurement. Study up on your miles, feet, and fahrenheit degrees before you go.
- 🍸 – The Drinking Age is 21 – In all states, you must be at least 21 years old to purchase and consume alcohol.
- 💵 – Tipping is Standard – Though tipping averages depend on the state, you can generally expect to add between 15-20% to your total restaurant, bar, or cafe bill.
🧳 What to Pack
- 🦺 – USA Travel Insurance – Though a relatively safe country, getting USA Travel Insurance before you go is a smart idea.
- 🔌 – Universal Travel Adapter – Traveling from outside North America? Then get a travel adapter that can specifically your convert your home country’s plug to a North American one.
- 🌞 – Sunscreen – North or south, summer or winter, you’re gonna need some SPF while visiting the USA.
- 📝 – Travel Authorization – Though residents of 35 countries get a visa-free pass to enter, depending where you’re from you may have to apply for an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization).
- 👕 Seasonal Clothing – Depending when and where you travel, you’ll need a specific wardrobe. Shorts and parkas are not universal items.
🤓 Facts & Info
- Population – 330 million
- Capital – Washington, D.C.
- Currency – United States Dollar (USD)
- Language – English
- Plugs – Type A or B, 120V / 60Hz.
💵 Budgeting & Money
Credit cards are widely accepted in the USA and you can find ATMs everywhere as well. To be on the safe side, just make sure to have enough cash on hand.
📰 USA Travel Guides
Getting planning your trip to USA with all our USA travel guides:
- 17 Napa Wineries & Vineyards (Best of Napa Valley in 2022)
- Puerto Rican Fruit (13 Best to Try, By a Local)
- 23 Best Things to Do in St. John, USVI (2022)
- 34 Best Things to Do in St Thomas, USVI (in 2022)
- 21 Best Puerto Rican Drinks to Try (By a Local)
- 21 Best Cities in Colorado in 2022 (A Local’s Picks)
- Is Atlantic City Safe for Travel? (In 2022)
- California Road Trip (A Local’s Ultimate Itinerary)
- 27 Places to Visit in Arizona in 2022 (By a Local)
- 11 Best Colorado State Parks in 2022 (By a Local)
- Where to Stay in Pagosa Springs (Best Places & Areas in 2022)
- Water Island, USVI (Things to Do + 2022 Travel Guide)
- 21 Best Day Trips from Asheville (in 2022)
- 39 Best Things to Do in Nashville in 2022 (By a Local)
- 19 Best Breweries in Denver in 2022 (By a Local)
- Kennedy Space Center (Ultimate Visitor’s Guide for 2022)
- 15 Best California Mountain Towns in 2022 (By a Local)
- 5 Day Hudson Valley Itinerary for 2022 (The Perfect Planner)
- 36 Denver Date Ideas for Every Occasion (By a Local)
- 75 Disneyland Tips (A California Local’s Insider Secrets)
- 17 Things to Do in Pagosa Springs, CO (in 2022)
- 9 Best Las Vegas Neighborhoods for 2022 (A Local’s Picks)
- 25 Best Coffee Shops in Denver (By a Local)
- 25 Best Things to Do in Hudson Valley (in 2022)
- Getting Around Seattle (A Local’s Transportation Guide)
- 34 Fun Things to Do in Colorado in 2022 (By a Local!)
- 7 Day New York Road Trip Itinerary (for 2022)
- 15 Best US Virgin Islands Beaches (in 2022)
- 48 Best Things to Do in San Diego in 2022 (By a Local)
- Where to Stay at Disneyland (Best Areas & Places for 2022)
- 32 Best Things to Do in Phoenix in 2022 (By a Local)
- Where to Stay in Evergreen (Best Places & Areas in 2022)
- How to Do Nashville on a Budget (A Local’s Guide)
- Is Seattle Safe in 2022? (Honest Info From a Local)
- Bioluminescent Bays in Puerto Rico (Ultimate Guide to All 3)
- 56 Best Denver Restaurants in 2022 (Where to Eat, By Locals)
- 31 Best San Diego Historical Sites & Landmarks (By a Local)
- Pike Place Market (The Ultimate Guide, By a Local)
- Where to Stay in Grand Junction (Best Places & Areas, 2022)
- 17 Things to Do in Evergreen, CO (Fun Activities for 2022)
- New Jersey Foods (A Local’s Guide to 16 Best NJ Dishes)
- 33 Free Things to Do in Seattle in 2022 (By a Local)
- 25 Best Orlando Restaurants (Where to Eat, By a Local)
- Food in Denver (A Locals’ Guide to 33 Best Dishes to Try)
- Snorkeling in Puerto Rico (Local Guide + 13 Best Spots)
- 17 Best Things to Do in Morro Bay (in 2022)
- 20 Chicago Travel Tips & Things to Know in 2022 (By a Local)
- 23 Best California Beach Towns (in 2022)
- Where to Stay in Hudson Valley (in 2022)
- Best Time to Visit Disneyland (By a California Local)
- 13 Things to Do in Puerto Rico for Couples (By a Local)
- 21 Best Things to Do in Central Park (in 2022)
- Camping in California (11 Best Sites & Tips)
- Is Newark Safe? (Honest Advice for 2022)
- 29 San Diego Date Ideas in 2022 (By a Local)
- San Gabriel Mountains (13 Best Hikes & Tips For Visiting)
- 15 Best Hiking Trails in New York (in 2022)
- 21 Best Towns in California for 2022 (By a Local)
- 21 Best Yosemite Hikes (By a California Local)
- La Fortaleza (A Local’s Guide to Visiting)
- 51 Best Things to Do in California in 2022 (By a Local)
- 21 Best Puerto Rican Desserts to Try (By a Local)
- 27 Best Colorado Ski Resorts (‘22-’23 Season)
- Loveland Pass (Scenic Drive Guide + Key Info)
- 27 Best Things to Do in Leadville, CO (in 2022)
- Where to Stay in Leadville (Best Areas & Hotels)
- 21 Best Things to do in West Hollywood (in 2022)
- 21 Best Things to Do in Grand Junction (in 2022)
- Getting Around Nashville (A Local’s Transportation Guide)
- The Art Institute of Chicago (Ultimate Visitor’s Guide)
- Camping Near Denver (9 Best Places, By a Local)
- 19 Best Cities in California in 2022 (By a Local)
- Where to Stay in San Bernardino (An Area Local’s Top Places)
- 25 Best Things to Do in San Bernardino (By a Local)
- 13 Best Things to Do in Caguas in 2022
- 23 San Juan Landmarks & Historical Sites (A Local’s Picks)
- 31 Seattle Date Ideas for 2022 (By a Local)
- 35 Weekend Getaways from Denver (By a Local)
- 15 Best Museums in Washington DC (By a Local)
- 53 Things to Do in Las Vegas in 2022 (By a Local)
- 27 Best Places to Visit in California in 2022 (By a Local)
- 13 Best Things to Do in Luquillo (in 2022)
- 25 Best Things to Do in Downtown LA in 2022 (By a Local)
- 11 Best Places to Go Camping in Colorado (By a Local)
- Where to Stay in Phoenix, By a Local (Best Places & Areas)
- 35 Best Things to Do in Orange County in 2022 (By a Local)
- 15 Best St. Thomas Boat Tours (By a Local Captain)
- 21 Best Things to Do in Disney Springs (in 2022)
- Where to Stay in Joshua Tree (Best Areas & Places in 2022)
- 9 Best National Parks in California
- 13 Best Things to Do in Rio Grande (in 2022)
- 27 Best Things to Do in Aspen, Colorado (in 2022)
- 16 Best Things to Do on Bainbridge Island (in 2022)
- Grant Park | A Chicago Local’s Guide to Visiting (in 2022)
- 15 Best New York City Neighborhoods (in 2022)
- Disney World With Toddlers (A Local Mom’s Essential Guide)
- 17 Best Hikes in California in 2022 (By a Local)
- 17 Best San Diego Breweries in 2022 (By a Local)
- 16 Best Coffee Shops in Chicago in 2022 (By a Local)
- The Best Time to Visit Colorado Springs in 2022