Super useful and totally free travel guides to USA
Why We Love USA – As an American myself, I often get asked about traveling the USA by foreigners I meet on the road. And I always say the same thing: treat travel to the United States like you would travel to the European Union. In many ways there is as much of a difference between visiting New York City vs. Texas as there is between visiting Paris vs. Poland. The United States is so large and populous that you can find any kind of travel experience you want, just realize there will be many differences to your experience depending on where in the USA you plan to travel. Of course, all that just means there is more to see and makes it more exciting to explore!
Best of USA
With some of the most exciting cities and gorgeous landscapes on the planet, the USA is loaded with destinations for every type of traveler. Some of the most popular places to visit include:
- Denver – You’ll come to Denver for the easy mountain access but stay for the scenery, nightlife, and endless list of fun things to do.
- California’s Coast – With sprawling beaches, renowned cities, craggly cliffs, and vinyards, visiting the California Coast should be high on your USA bucket list.
- Washington D.C. – The capital of the United States, Washington District of Columbia is the perfect destination to learn about the nation’s past and present through a governmental lens.
- Florida – Home to the Florida Keys, Disney World, the Kennedy Space Center, and some of the countries best parties, you’ll never be far from saltwater in the Sunshine State.
- Puerto Rico – Full of waterfalls, forests, exciting cities, and culinary masterpieces, Puerto Rico is the perfect Caribbean island for an adventure.
✨ Things to Do
From sightseeing famous monuments to hiking some of the most unique landscapes on the planet, there are endless fun things to do in the United States. Here are some of our faves:
- The Grand Canyon – Larger than the state of Rhode Island, Arizona’s The Grand Canyon is one of the top natural wonders of the United States.
- Walt Disney World – Within close proximity to the Florida cities of Orlando and Kissimmee, Walt Disney World is a resort comprised of theme parks, water parks, hotels, entertainment venues, and so much more.
- Yellowstone National Park – Primarily located in Wyoming, Yellowstone is known for its geothermal properties and array of wildlife.
- The Statue of Liberty – A national monument located in New York Harbor, The Statue of Liberty represents democracy, freedom, and friendship.
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial – Located in Black Hills, South Dakota, this national memorial features the carved likeness of four notable presidents and is a symbol of democracy.
USA Travel Advice
🗓️ Best Time to Visit
The USA can be visited any time of year, but it depends on your goals and where you are going. If visiting the Northeast cities like New York and Washington D.C., the months of May to September generally offer the best weather. The Rocky Mountain region is especially beautiful during the fall months, while southern destinations like Florida, Texas, and Las Vegas can be visited year-round.
Other than the occasional mugging incidents or petty theft that are common to a lot of tourist destinations, the USA is generally a place with relatively low crime rates against tourists. While most travelers will visit without incident, travelers should be aware that in many parts of the USA there is a tragic and systemic problem of police brutality, particularly against black and brown communities.
👉 Tips & Things to Know
- 🛑 – Research State Laws – Laws pertaining to driving, alcohol, short-term apartment rentals, etc. differ widely from state to state. A little reserach goes a long way.
- 🚗 – USA Drives on the Right – Like elsewhere in North America, the USA drives on the right and passes on the left.
- ⚖️ – The Imperial System – One of just a few countries in the world to do so, the USA uses the Imperial System of measurement. Study up on your miles, feet, and fahrenheit degrees before you go.
- 🍸 – The Drinking Age is 21 – In all states, you must be at least 21 years old to purchase and consume alcohol.
- 💵 – Tipping is Standard – Though tipping averages depend on the state, you can generally expect to add between 15-20% to your total restaurant, bar, or cafe bill.
🧳 What to Pack
- 🦺 – USA Travel Insurance – Though a relatively safe country, getting USA Travel Insurance before you go is a smart idea.
- 🔌 – Universal Travel Adapter – Traveling from outside North America? Then get a travel adapter that can specifically your convert your home country’s plug to a North American one.
- 🌞 – Sunscreen – North or south, summer or winter, you’re gonna need some SPF while visiting the USA.
- 📝 – Travel Authorization – Though residents of 35 countries get a visa-free pass to enter, depending where you’re from you may have to apply for an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization).
- 👕 Seasonal Clothing – Depending when and where you travel, you’ll need a specific wardrobe. Shorts and parkas are not universal items.
🤓 Facts & Info
- Population – 330 million
- Capital – Washington, D.C.
- Currency – United States Dollar (USD)
- Language – English
- Plugs – Type A or B, 120V / 60Hz.
💵 Budgeting & Money
Credit cards are widely accepted in the USA and you can find ATMs everywhere as well. To be on the safe side, just make sure to have enough cash on hand.
📰 USA Travel Guides
Getting planning your trip to USA with all our USA travel guides:
- 18 Best Neighborhoods in Chicago for 2022 (By a Local)
- Is Chicago Safe for Travel? (Honest Local Advice for 2022)
- Where to Stay in Newark NJ (Best Areas & Neighborhoods)
- Is Denver Safe? (Honest Safety Facts & Tips for 2022)
- Where to Stay in St. John, USVI (Best Places & Areas in 2022)
- Seattle Packing List (26 Things You Might Forget to Bring)
- Is Cincinnati Safe? (Honest Guide for 2022)
- 21 Best Places to Live in Colorado in 2022 (By a Local)
- 33 Best Things to Do on Long Island (in 2022)
- 11 Best Puerto Rico Mountains to Explore (By a Local)
- 18 Best Chicago Festivals in 2022 (By a Local)
- 21 Best Things to Do in La Jolla (in 2022)
- 28 Best Things to Do in Colorado Springs (in 2022)
- 9 Best Things to Do in Manatí (in 2022)
- 13 Best Neighborhoods in Los Angeles, By a Local (in 2022)
- Driving in Chicago for Visitors | Rules, Tips, & Info 
- 13 Nashville Music Venues (Best Spots in 2022, By a Local)
- 20 Best Museums in Chicago [A Local’s Favorites in 2022]
- Best Time to Visit Long Island in 2022 (By a Long Islander)
- Virgin Islands National Park (Ultimate Guide for 2022)
- 14 Best Chicago Beaches in 2022 (A Local’s Ultimate Guide)
- San Juan to Rincon (3 Best Ways to Go, By a Local)
- Best Time to Visit New York City in 2022 (By a Local)
- 11 Best Towns in Puerto Rico to Visit in 2022 (By a Local)
- 17 Best Things to Do in Solvang, CA (in 2022)
- 21 Famous Landmarks in Puerto Rico (By a Local)
- 13 Best La Jolla Beaches (in 2022)
- Is Orlando Safe to Travel in 2022? (A Local’s Perspective)
- Chicago Packing List (29 Things People Forget to Bring)
- Where to Stay in Vail (Best Areas, Hotels, & Resorts)
- 15 Best Things to Do in Isabela, PR (in 2022)
- 19 Spots for Brunch in Nashville (Best Places, by a Local)
- Best Time to Visit Chicago | Local Tips on When to Go (2022)
- 17 Best Things to Do in Bayamón (in 2022)
- 23 Best Los Angeles Beaches for 2022 (By a Local)
- 15 St. John Beaches You Can’t Miss (in 2022)
- Best Time to Visit Seattle in 2022 (By a Local)
- 17 Best Museums in Denver, by a Local (in 2022)
- Animal Kingdom Itinerary (The Perfect One Day Planner)
- Where to Stay in San Luis Obispo, by an Area Local (2022)
- 21 Best Things to Do in St. John, USVI (2022)
- The Best Time to Visit New Jersey in 2022 (A Local’s Guide)
- Hollywood Studios Itinerary (A Perfect 1 Day Touring Plan)
- San Juan to Fajardo (4 Best Ways to Go in 2022, By a Local)
- 33 Best Things to Do in Chicago in 2022 (By a Local)
- Where to Stay in Chicago, By a Local (Best Areas & Places)
- 55 Best Things to Do in Los Angeles (By a Local)
- 13 Hikes Near Nashville (Best Hiking Trails, By a Local)
- 9 Best Hot Springs Near Boulder (in 2022)
- 18 Best Things to Do in Newark, NJ in 2022 (By a Local!)
- 13 Denver Travel Tips & Things to Know (By a Local)
- 25 Best Hikes Near Fort Collins (for 2022)
- 33 Best Things to Do in Encinitas CA, for 2022 (By a Local)
- 8 Best Train Rides in Colorado for 2022 (By a Local)
- Epcot Itinerary (A Local’s Perfect 1 Day Touring Planner)
- 33 Best Things to Do in St Thomas, USVI (in 2022)
- 9 Best Hot Springs Near Denver (By a Local)
- San Juan to Culebra (4 Best Ways to Go, By a Local)
- San Juan to Vieques (4 Best Ways to Go, By a Local)
- Where to Stay in Colorado (Best Areas to Vacation)
- 11 Best 14ers in Colorado (Picked by a Local)
- Do You Need a Passport to Go to Puerto Rico? (Quick Answers)
- Where to Stay in Oakland, By a Local (Best Areas & Places)
- 51 Best Things to Do in Seattle (A Local’s 2022 List)
- Where to Stay in Los Angeles, By a Local (Best Areas & Places)
- 15 Best Things to Do in Cabo Rojo, PR (in 2022)
- 11 Best Caves in Puerto Rico for 2022 (By a Local)
- 17 Day Trips from Chicago (By a Local!)
- Where to Stay in New York City (12 Best Places, By a Local)
- 17 Best Museums in San Diego (By a Local)
- 33 Best Things to Do in Carlsbad, CA (By a Local)
- 29 Best Things to Do in Vail, CO (By an Area Local!)
- 27 Best Things to Do in Atlantic City (in 2022)
- 15 Best Things to Do in Idaho Springs (in 2022)
- 15 Best Things to Do in Aguada (in 2022)
- How to Get Around Long Beach (8 Best Ways, By a Local)
- 10 Day Colorado Road Trip Itinerary (Planned by a Local)
- Magic Kingdom Itinerary (A Perfect 1 Day Touring Planner)
- 21 Best Beaches in Southern California (By a Local)
- Disney World Itinerary (6 Days Planned By an Orlando Local)
- 15 Best Places to Go Camping Near San Diego (By a Local)
- 15 Best Day Trips from Nashville for 2022 (By a Local)
- 13 Best Small Towns in Colorado (By a CO Local)
- 9 Best Colorado Road Trips in 2022 (By a Local)
- 11 Best Culebra Beaches in 2022 (By a Puerto Rico Local)
- Where to Stay in St. Thomas, USVI (Best Places & Areas)
- 15 Best Things to Do in Guanica (in 2022)
- 21 Best New Jersey Beaches for 2022 (By a Local)
- Is San Juan Safe for Travel? (Honest Local Advice for 2022)
- 19 Best Things to Do in Keystone, Colorado (2022)
- Where to Stay in Keystone (Best Areas & Hotels)
- 21 Best Mountain Towns in Colorado (By a Local)
- 27 Best Things to Do on Catalina Island (in 2022)
- Seattle on a Budget (How to Eat, Stay & Do It All Cheaply)
- 15 Best Hotels in Oceanside, CA (By a Local)
- Is Nashville Safe? (Honest Safety Advice, By a Local)
- 24 Free Things to Do in Orlando (By a Local)
- 31 Best Things to Do in Breckenridge, Colorado (in 2022)
- 9 Best Rincon Beaches in 2022 (By a Puerto Rico Local)
- Colorado Packing List (23 Things You Might Forget to Bring)