Having your honeymoon in Puerto Rico is nothing but a dream come true!
As a Puerto Rican and someone who worked in one of the most prominent hotels in San Juan, I’ve seen hundreds of couples arrive from all over the world to celebrate their wedding and honeymoon in Puerto Rico.
There are plenty of things to do in Puerto Rico during your honeymoon, whether you want to spend it on the beach or in the relaxing countryside. And for whatever vacation you choose, you’ll find all kinds of hotels and resorts that suit your taste.
So if you’re planning to spend your honeymoon on the island, here is what you need to know.
Table of Contents
- Tips for Planning a Honeymoon in Puerto Rico
- Honeymoon Tip #1 – Choose the Right Season
- Honeymoon Tip #2 – Check the Weather
- Honeymoon Tip #3 – Travel During the Low Season
- Honeymoon Tip #4 – Stay in San Juan
- Honeymoon Tip #5 – Rent a Car
- Honeymoon Tip #6 – Stay Outside San Juan
- Honeymoon Tip #7 – Try Local Food
- Honeymoon Tip #8 – Choose an All-Inclusive Hotel
- Where to Stay for a Honeymoon in Puerto Rico
- FAQs About Honeymoon Planning in Puerto Rico
Disclosure: Travel Lemming is an independent reader-supported blog. You can support us by purchasing via the affiliate links on this page, which may earn us commissions. Thank you!
Tips for Planning a Honeymoon in Puerto Rico
Honeymoon Tip #1 – Choose the Right Season
If you’re spending a honeymoon in Puerto Rico, make sure to choose the best season to visit. Autumn and winter are the high seasons for travelers, but they aren’t the best to enjoy the beaches due to the strong tides.
If you truly want to enjoy Puerto Rico as a beach vacation, spring and summer are better for swimming, snorkeling, and diving.
Honeymoon Tip #2 – Check the Weather
If you’re saying for your honeymoon in Puerto Rico during the summer, keep in mind summer is part of the rainy season in Puerto Rico. Depending on where you are on the island, you may face daily showers.
Check the weather constantly and plan your outdoor activities early in the mornings depending on the forecast.
Honeymoon Tip #3 – Travel During the Low Season
Although it’s sunny all year round, Puerto Rico has a low season both for locals and international travelers which goes from late August to November. Traveling during this season is the best if you’re doing Puerto Rico on a budget.
Keep in mind these months are also the peaks of the Puerto Rico hurricane season, so hazardous weather can affect your trip.
Honeymoon Tip #4 – Stay in San Juan
If you don’t want to rent a car, you’ll be glad to know you don’t have to if you’re staying in Old San Juan. You can explore the historical district on foot and enjoy popular San Juan activities like touring El Morro or sunbathing at Playa Peña.
San Juan is also home to some of the best honeymoon resorts in Puerto Rico including Hotel El Convento, which was once a Carmelite convent constructed in 1646.
Honeymoon Tip #5 – Rent a Car
If you don’t want to rent a car, check out my guide to getting around Puerto Rico to learn how you can move around the island.
👉 Pro Tip: If you’re looking to rent a car in Puerto Rico, then the first place we recommend looking is Discover Cars. They’re awesome for comparing and contrasting your options.
Honeymoon Tip #6 – Stay Outside San Juan
If you want to experience the local Puerto Rico culture, find the best beaches, and explore the most mesmerizing wonders of the island, it’s best to stay outside San Juan. While there are many things to do in the city, it’s often crowded with tourists and isn’t always the most relaxing.
Honeymoon Tip #7 – Try Local Food
If you and your spouse are foodies, then don’t miss out on Puerto Rico’s top plates. You can find great Puerto Rican food in San Juan Restaurants, but also in small food kiosks like the ones you can find in Piñones, Los Kioskos de Luquillo, La Guancha, and Boquerón.
Honeymoon Tip #8 – Choose an All-Inclusive Hotel
If you rather stay inside during your honeymoon in Puerto Rico, then make sure to stay at an all-inclusive hotel, so you have plenty of entertainment options.
The island boasts a great variety of inclusive resorts not only in San Juan but in other cities and towns. Some of Puerto Rico’s top inclusive resorts include the St Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, and San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino.
Where to Stay for a Honeymoon in Puerto Rico
Best Puerto Rico Honeymoon Hotels & Resorts
You’ll find all kinds of hotels in Puerto Rico, from luxury resorts to adult-only hotels. Most resorts in Puerto Rico boast a beachfront location with access to the beautiful Puerto Rico beaches.
While the capital city offers some of the best hotels on the island like the Old San Juan hotel, El Convento, honeymooners will also find romantic resorts in less touristy areas. Hotels in remote Puerto Rico cities often offer amenities like a pool, spa, golf courses, and tennis courts.
👉 Here are some of the best Puerto Rico hotels:
- Budget – Hotel Casa Blanca
- Mid-Range – Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa
- Luxury – St Regis Bahia Beach Resort
- All-inclusive – San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
- Historical – Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
- With Spa – Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa
- Boutique Hotel – O:live Boutique Hotel
- With Additional Attractions – El Conquistador Resort
- With a Golf Course – Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa
- With Frequent Festivities – La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
- Remote Location – Royal Isabela
- Close to the Airport – Fairmont El San Juan Hotel
- Unique – Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
- Pet-Friendly – Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
- In Vieques – El Blok
Best Puerto Rico Honeymoon Neighborhoods & Areas
Deciding which is the best city to stay in for your honeymoon in Puerto Rico is no easy task. San Juan is definitely one of the best places to stay, and visitors will find many tourist-friendly areas in the city.
But, honeymooners can also find great neighborhoods with some of the best resorts in Puerto Rico in any town outside San Juan. Let’s look at some of the best neighborhoods to stay in Puerto Rico:
- 👉 Old San Juan (Search apartments in Old San Juan) – Old San Juan is the historical district of San Juan. The area is entirely walkable and tourist-friendly, and it’s home to many Puerto Rico attractions, including El Morro. The cobblestone streets and colorful buildings make it a unique destination for a romantic vacation.
- 👉 Condado (Search apartments in Condado) – Condado is another great neighborhood in San Juan for couples, home to luxury, all-inclusive, and romantic resorts like the San Juan Marriott Resort. Condado is walkable and it sports a great offer of beaches and restaurants.
- 👉 Isla Verde (Search apartments in Isla Verde) – Isla Verde is the perfect honeymoon destination for couples that want to stay close to the airport. This area features many honeymoon resorts with beachfront locations. Isla Verde is also one of the areas in Puerto Rico with the best nightlife.
- 👉 Cabo Rojo (Search apartments in Cabo Rojo) – Choosing a single neighborhood to stay in Cabo Rojo is hard, as the complete city is breathtaking. But, couples that are looking both for a romantic getaway, and a place with a lively ambiance will enjoy Boquerón. This area has a wildlife refuge, multiple beaches, and some of the best sunsets in Puerto Rico.
- Culebra (Search apartments in Culebra) – Culebra is the perfect destination for a Puerto Rican honeymoon. Culebra beaches are solitary, without crowded beach resorts, or pricey beachfront restaurants. Instead, this tropical oasis boasts a tranquil romantic ambiance ideal to outwind on the coasts of the Caribbean sea.
- 👉 Vieques (Search apartments in Vieques) – Vieques island is another Puerto Rico municipality outside the east coast. Considered a tropical paradise, Vieques features some of the most beautiful beaches to sunbathe, swim, or go horseback riding. But, the main attraction is the glowing waters of Mosquito Bioluminescent Bay.
- 👉 Fajardo (Search apartments in Fajardo) – If you’re looking for some of the best honeymoon resorts along with a fun city with great things to do, stay at Fajardo. This city is home to a breathtaking nature reserve with one of the bioluminescent bays of Puerto Rico, known as Laguna Grande. In Cabezas de San Juan Nature Reserve you’ll find beautiful hidden beaches that will feel like private beaches.
- 👉 Rio Grande (Search apartments in Rio Grande) – Besides the famous El Yunque National Rainforest, Rio Grande also hosts some of the best honeymoon resorts in Puerto Rico like the St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort and Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa.
- 👉 Isabela (Search apartments in Isabela) – This beach town on the northwest coast of the island offers great beaches for surfing and swimming. Most Isabela hotels have top-notch ocean views, without a crowded skyline. Besides the beach, other things to do in Isabela include hiking in the Guajataca Forest and visiting The Wind Cave.
- 👉 Ponce (Search apartments in Ponce) – If you love San Juan, but you rather avoid all the crowds, stay at Ponce. This city also has a historical downtown with many Puerto Rico landmarks. From here you can take day trips to multiple Puerto Rico islands including Caja de Muertos and Isla Cardona.
- 👉 Dorado (Search apartments in Dorado) – Dorado is one of the Puerto Rico cities tourists like to stay at. Not only does this romantic destination has pristine beaches, but it’s also home to the most insta-worthy hotel in Puerto Rico, Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve.
- 👉 Rincón (Search apartments in Rincón) – Located on the west coast, Rincón is the epitome of romance. This city features amazing beaches both to swim and do water sports, a lively downtown, and breathtaking sunsets. It’s also home to many of Puerto Rico’s budget-friendly resorts.
- 👉 La Parguera (Search apartments in La Parguera) – La Parguera is a small fishing village in Lajas, Puerto Rico. La Parguera is ideal for a calm and relaxing honeymoon. Lajas hosts a bioluminescent bay, a coral wall outside its coasts that divers will love, and multiple cays you can visit during your stay.
- 👉 Cayey (Search apartments in Cayey) – You may not find so many fancy resorts up in the Puerto Rico mountains, but you’ll find plenty of peace and panoramic views. Cayey is a great place to stay to enjoy a peaceful retreat surrounded by nature. Besides being less pricey than most cities in the north, Cayey also has a central location to explore Puerto Rico’s Ruta Panorómica.
📚 Continue Reading: Where to Stay in Puerto Rico Guide
FAQs About Honeymoon Planning in Puerto Rico
Is Puerto Rico nice for a honeymoon?
Puerto Rico is a perfect destination for a honeymoon. The island has hundreds of beaches couples can enjoy, restaurants with exquisite cuisine, and lively nightlife. Vieques, Culebra, Cabo Rojo, and Rio Grande are some of the most popular destinations for honeymooners in Puerto Rico.
How much does a honeymoon in Puerto Rico cost?
A honeymoon of one week in Puerto Rico for two persons ranges from $2,400 USD to $5,200 on average, depending on the travel style, and the season travelers choose to visit Puerto Rico. Although most outdoor activities in Puerto Rico are either cheap or free, car rentals and hotels tend to take away most of the budget.
What can you do on your honeymoon in Puerto Rico?
Travelers on a honeymoon in Puerto Rico can do many things including visiting historical fortresses, walking through the streets of Old San Juan, bathing in beautiful beaches, hiking in El Yunque National Forest, or visiting Puerto Rico waterfalls. Vieques and Culebra are also some of the perfect honeymoon destinations in Puerto Rico.
Is San Juan a good place for a honeymoon?
San Juan is an ideal city for a honeymoon in Puerto Rico as the city has a historical site, multiple beaches, restaurants, and bars. San Juan also has some of the best things to do in Puerto Rico, as well as some of the best neighborhoods, to stay in when you’re visiting the country. Read my complete list of the top activities to do in San Juan to find out what you can do.
Thanks for reading my guide to where to stay for a honeymoon in Puerto Rico! To fill up your honeymoon itinerary, check out the best sites to visit in Puerto Rico.
Enjoy your Puerto Rico honeymoon!
Help us help you travel better!
Your feedback really helps ...
What did you like about this post? Or how can we improve it to help you travel better?