Super useful and totally free travel guides to Georgia
- 🏙️ Destinations
- ✨ Things to Do
- 🗓️ Best Time to Visit
- ⚠️ Safety
- 👉 Tips
- 🧳 What to Pack
- 📰 Georgia Travel Guides
Why We Love Georgia – I’ve traveled to almost 70 countries all around the world, and Georgia remains my favorite of them all. Here’s why: First, culture. Georgia is a tapestry woven from thousands of threads from East, West, and Middle East. Second, food and wine. Simply having a meal in Georgia is a journey. Oh, and wine was invented here. Third, the stunning Caucasus mountains. Pure bliss for nature lovers. I could go on, but instead let’s get planning your trip to Georgia?
Best of Georgia
Though it looks small on a map, the Caucasus Mountains carve Georgia up into many different regions, each with their own food, culture, and attractions:
- Tbilisi – Georgia’s capital and the single most popular place to visit in the country. For short trips, you can base yourself here and take day trips to the mountains.
- Batumi – A fascinating Black Sea resort city that’s sort of like what you would get if you mixed Singapore with Atlantic City.
- Svaneti – My favorite region of Georgia. Locked deep in the mountains and difficult to access, but that’s the charm.
- Khaketi – Georgia’s wine region is filled with vineyards that rival those in Italy, but at a fraction of the cost.
- Kutaisi – The country’s second city offers less to do than Tbilisi, but is strategically situated for trips around the Western region.
👉 Explore all places to visit in Georgia.
✨ Things to Do
Whether you’re a history buff, an outdoor adventurer, or a food and wine lover, there’s a ton to do in Georgia:
- Old Town Tbilisi – Wandering Tbilisi’s eclectic Old Town is a must. You’ll soon realize why National Geographic once nicknamed it “The World’s Most Bohemian City.”
- Georgian Wine – Georgians love their wine (most ferment their own at home), and trying a glass or five is a great way to wash down all that delicious food.
- Kazbegi – Stunning mountain area in the north. Be sure to hike to the dramatic Gergeti Trinity Church.
- Eat Khachapuri – A traditional dish that’s a must-eat in Georgia. Try the different regional variations. Yum.
- Gareji Cave Monastery – A stunning natural and artificial cave complex dating to the Middle Ages.
👉 Explore all things to do in Georgia.
Georgia Travel Advice
🗓️ Best Time to Visit
Though Georgia is a small country, its climate varies considerably among its various regions, owing to the huge changes in elevation that you’ll find within this Caucasian country. Generally, the best time to visit Georgia is between May and October, though if you’re into winter sports you can visit the country of Georgia at any time of the year.
Georgia is generally a safe place to visit, despite the very brief conflict in 2008 between Russia and Georgia, but it’s not perfect. Just know have been increasing safety incidents since the pandemic, however, especially directed towards women and LGBT travelers. Covid vaccination also remains extremely low, leaving Georgia vulnerable to future surges and restrictions. It is good idea to purchase travel insurance for Georgia, and check the latest US State Department travel advisories for Georgia.
👉 Tips & Things to Know
- 🌙 – Most flights come in the middle of the night – It’s a weird quirk about the Tbilisi airport.
- ✈️ – Or you can fly into Kutaisi – Several budget carriers have direct flights there, and it’s closer to Svaneti.
- 🎫 – If going to Mestia, buy ahead – The local Vanilla Sky airline runs pretty affordable fares, but they fill up fast.
- 🇷🇺 – Russia is a touchy subject – always remember Georgia is an occupied country.
- 🚰 – You can drink the tap water – the mountain spring water that runs in the taps is actually delicious.
🧳 What to Pack
- 🧥 – Layers – It gets cold in the mountains, even in summer, so it’s best to pack clothing that can be layered.
- 🥤 – Water Bottle – The tap water is safe to drink, so carry a bottle and fill it up as you go.
- 🌤️ – A Warm Jacket – Even in summer you will need a jacket if you’re going anywhere near the mountains.
- 👙 – Swimwear – Whether it’s in a thermal bath or for the Black Sea, you might do more swimming than you’re expecting.
- 🦟 – Insect Spray – Mosquitoes are annoying in Tbilisi. Come prepared!
🤓 Facts & Info
- Population – 4 million
- Capital – Tbilisi
- Currency – Lari ($1 = ~3.04 laris)
- Language – Georgian
- Plugs – Type C or F, 220V / 50Hz
💵 Budgeting & Money
Major establishments take debit/credit cards, but smaller-scale accommodations, tourist sites and restaurants may only take cash. ATMs are widely available in Georgia.
📰 Georgia Travel Guides
Getting planning your trip to Georgia with all our Georgia travel guides:
- Georgia Travel Insurance (5 Best Sites to Compare for 2023)
- 12 Best Things to Do in Georgia (Country) in 2023
- 13 Reasons Georgia is the Next Big Digital Nomad Hotspot
- Georgia to Armenia (3 Day Itinerary + Travel Guide & Map)
- 5 Georgia Country Itineraries (From 3 Days to 3 Weeks)
- 10 Beautiful Places to Visit in Georgia [the Country]
- Svaneti Georgia (Travel Guide +10 Things to Do)
- What to Do in Abkhazia
- Abkhazia in Pictures
- My Adventures in Abkhazia, A Forgotten Land
- Batumi, Georgia – Singapore Meets Atlantic City on the Black Sea
- Tbilisi, Georgia – A Guide to My Favorite City