Super useful and totally free travel guides to Canada
Why We Love Canada – Sure, it doesn’t get quite the attention of its southern neighbor, but only a foolish traveler would sleep on Canada. City slickers will be surprised by the diversity in urban centers like Vancouver and Toronto. Those looking for a relaxing island getaway will find paradise in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. And, of course, outdoor adventurers will love all those square kilometers of mountains, lakes, and forests just begging to be explored.
Best of Canada
Covering such a large area, no two places in Canada are alike. Here, you’ll find diverse cultures, landscapes, festivals, and some of the friendliest locals in the world. Some of the best places to visit in Canada include:
- Winnipeg – Canada’s centralmost city, Winnipeg is home to world-class museums, pro sports teams, and some of the best winter activities in the country.
- Nova Scotia – Home to gems like Halifax, Cape Breton Island, and Lunenburg, finding fun in this Atlantic province is a breeze.
- Prince Edward Island – An island on Canada’s east coast, Prince Edward Island is known for sprawling red and white sand beaches, lighthouses, and its fab culinary scene.
- Manitoba – A prairie province, Manitoba is where fields meet the Canadian shield. Expect crystal-clear lakes, dozens of fesitvals, and plenty of adventure activities.
- Vancouver – A west-coast city with a laid-back feel, Vancouver is a metropolis sandwiched between the mountains and the ocean — perfect for outdoorsy, adventurous types.
✨ Things to Do
From hitting the slopes in the mountains to exploring the culturally-diverse city streets, Canada is perfect for all kinds of travelers. Some of the best experiences in the country include:
- Anne of Green Gables – Anne of Green Gables is one of Canada’s most famous stories. Find a ton of related sites and experiences in Prince Edward Island.
- Niagara Falls – Straddling the USA / Ontario provincial border, Niagara Falls is both an exciting city and a natural wonder.
- Banff National Park – Canada’s first National Park, Banff is where you’ll find towering mountains, glacial lakes, and some of the most picturesque accommodations in the country.
- Fraser River – The lengthiest river in British Columbia, check out the Fraser River for salmon fishing, whitewater rafting, wine tasting, and more.
- Cypress Hills – Located in both Saskatchewan and Alberta, Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park is characterized by plant and animal diversity and a variety of landscapes.
Canada Travel Advice
Being a northern country, summer is naturally the most popular time to visit Canada. But the autumn months of September to November might be our secret pick for the best time to visit Canada. The cool weather is just right, summer crowds have disappeared, prices drop and you get to witness the perfect fall scenery. Additionally, you’ll get to experience different celebrations and festivals that fall during the autumn season.
👉 Read full guide to the best times to visit Canada
Ranking sixth in the Global Peace Index, Canada is a very safe place to visit for travelers. Still, we always recommend checking the latest US State Department travel advisories for your destination.
- 🚗 – Canada Drives on the Right – As in the USA, Canadians drive on the right hand side of the road and pass on the left.
- 📍 – Pick a Region or Two – Canada is the second largest country in the world, and getting around takes a long time. Unless you have months to spend, pick one or two areas for your trip to Canada.
- 🚌 – Research Transportation – Not every Canadian city has extensive transportation systems, and getting between cities is best done with a car. Research how to get between destinations prior to your arrival.
- 💵 – Expect Sales Tax – Sales tax is often not included in the upfront price of products and services in Canada. Know the specific sales tax rates for the province you’ll be visiting.
- 👂 – Know the Regional Language – While most of Canada is English-speaking, Quebec’s first language is French and New Brunswick is officially bilingual.
👉 See all of our top Canada travel tips.
🧳 What to Pack
- 🦺 – Travel Insurance –
- ❄️ – Seasonal Gear – With frigid winters and blazing hot summers, packing seasonally is a must. Research weather and climate for your specific destinaion beforehand.
- ☀️ – Sunscreen – Regardless of the season, if you’re going to be spending time outdoors in Canada then you need some serious SPF.
- 👞 – Good Shoes – One of the most important travel items, having a sturdy pair of both walking shoes and hiking boots will be a game changer on your trip.
- ☂️ – Travel Umbrella – Weather in Canada can change on a dime and spring, summer, and fall are used to periodic showers. Always have a small umbrella in your daypack for emergencies.
🤓 Facts & Info
- Population – 38 million
- Capital – Ottawa
- Currency – Canadian Dollar ($1 = ~1.41 dollars)
- Language – English
- Plugs – Type A or B, 120V / 60Hz.
💵 Budgeting & Money
Major debit and credit cards are widely accepted in Canada, with Visa and MasterCard being the most popular. ATMs widely available.
🦺 Travel Insurance
Even in a country as safe as Canada, you never know what could happen. From trip interruptions to activity-related injuries, being financially prepared with travel insurance is a smart move.
👉 Read our full guide to travel insurance for Canada.
🚘 Road Trips
Unlike elsewhere in North America, Canada doesn’t have an extensive public transportation system. Renting a car and taking a road trip is one of the best ways to see the country.
👉 Check out our list of the best road trips in Canada.
📰 Canada Travel Guides
Getting planning your trip to Canada with all our Canada travel guides:
- 15 Best Hotels in Prince Edward Island (in 2022)
- Driving in Prince Edward Island in 2022 (Practical Guide)
- 11 Best Hotels in Winnipeg [Where to Stay, By a Local]
- 12 Best Day Trips From Winnipeg (By a Local!)
- 28 Things to Do in Banff National Park (in 2022)
- Driving in Canada for Visitors | Rules, Tips, & Info 
- The Best Time to Visit Prince Edward Island (Honest Guide)
- Nova Scotia Road Trip Itinerary | Crafted by a Local
- 23 Best Things to Do on Vancouver Island (in 2022)
- British Columbia Road Trip Guide [Epic 7 Day Itinerary]
- The Best Time to Visit Canada in 2022 (By a Local!)
- Alberta Road Trip (My Perfect 10 Day Itinerary)
- 19 Best Things to Do in Charlottetown
- 23 Things to Do in Winnipeg, Manitoba (By a Local!)
- PEI Beaches (11 Best & Nicest in Prince Edward Island)
- 15 Best Places to Visit in Canada for 2022 (By a Local!)
- 17 Best Things to Do in Nova Scotia (By a Local)
- 19 Best Places to Visit in Prince Edward Island (2022)
- 5 Day Prince Edward Island Itinerary (The Perfect Planner)
- Where to Stay in Prince Edward Island (Best Places & Areas)
- 17 Best Things to Do in Prince Edward Island (in 2022)
- 15 Best Places to Visit in Manitoba (By a Local!)
- 3 Day Charlottetown Itinerary (How to Plan the Perfect Trip)
- 50 Places to Travel in 2022 (Best Emerging Destinations)
- 10 Best Hotels in Charlottetown (With Photos)
- Is Canada Safe to Travel in 2022? (Important Tips & Advice)
- 13 Canada Road Trips You Should Really Drive At Least Once
- 16 Canada Travel Tips to Know in 2022 (By a Local!)
- 15 Best Things To Do in Manitoba (By a Local!)
- Canada Travel Insurance | What You Need to Know in 2022
- 12 Reasons to Visit Nova Scotia (By a Local!)
- Ultimate Cabot Trail Guide (+23 Epic Things to Do)
- 21 Things to Do in Halifax (By a Nova Scotia Local)