If you’re going to visit Tulum, you might as well do it in style by staying at one of the best hotels in Tulum. After all, nothing can make or break a beach vacation like a great hotel.
- 🙋♂️ About me: I’m a travel blogger and digital nomad who has spent nearly a year of my life living and traveling in Mexico. I’ve been to Tulum more times than I can count, always staying somewhere different, and many of my friends rely on my advice for planning their own visits.
- 📰 About this post: a rundown of the 21 best hotels in Tulum, Mexico, with options for every budget and style of travel.
- 👉 Top Picks:
- ⛱️ Tips and Resources:
- My mega guide to the best Tulum beaches is loaded with helpful tips and a guide to the best beach clubs.
- We’ve also got a detailed rundown of how to visit the Tulum Mayan ruins. Definitely not to be missed!
- If you are coming from Cancun, check out our post on how to go to Tulum from Cancun.
- Be careful in times of covid. Respect all location regulations, and consider getting trip insurance.
The 16 Best Hotels in Tulum Mexico
Disclosure: If you buy something through links on this page, this independent travel blog may earn a small affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting our travels so we can bring you more guides!
The first thing you need to decide is where to stay in Tulum. Your main decision is whether to stay on the beach or in town, and it basically comes down to a question of budget. If you can afford it, the best hotels in Tulum are mostly on the beach. And Tulum’s luxury beach hotels are worth the splurge. But budget travelers need not fret: there are plenty of stylish boutique Tulum hotels in the pueblo as well!
#1 – Casa Malca (Luxury)
This former house of Pablo Escobar has become famous as where celebrities like Brad Pitt, Drew Barrymore, and Leonardo DiCaprio stay in Tulum. And it’s really no wonder why this hotel is so popular: you’ll be hard pressed to find a more luxurious hotel in Tulum. Casa Malca was purchased a few years ago by a New York based art dealer, who built it up from the original 8 room setup to its current 72 spacious and art-conscious rooms.
- Indoor and outdoor pools
- Private beachfront (look out for celebrities)
- Several onsite restaurants and a soon-to-be-opened spa
#2 – Encantada Tulum (Luxury)
“Encantada” can be closely translated as magical or enchanted and Encantada Tulum promises an enchanting escape and getaway. Reviewers love that you get to have a breathtaking view of Tulum beach, plus the small number of rooms gives the feeling of privacy, intimacy and exclusivity. Instead of going for a modern look, the overall design of this boutique hotel gives off that tropical or island vibe. It is a bit on the pricier side though, but if you have the cash this is worth the splurge.
- Perfect honeymoon location
- Impeccable, intimate, and cozy rooms
- Reviewers say staff remembers every guest by name
#3 – The Beach Tulum (Luxury)
A beautiful oasis where you can fully relax in your rooftop jacuzzi while listening to the sounds of crashing waves on the nearby private beach. If you’re looking for the kind of Tulum hotel you see on Instagram, this is it! You can expect a high-end, luxurious stay. Located along Tulum’s south beach, The Beach Tulum has it all — excellent service, special amenities, delicious food, rooftop jacuzzis, air conditioned gym, and the feeling of comfortable privacy. The Beach Tulum also prides itself for being an eco-friendly hotel.
- Perfect for honeymooners
- Rooms offered with private heated plunge pool
- Offers activities like water sport, yoga, and a spa
#4 – Hotel Cabanas Tulum (Luxury)
A boutique hotel that will definitely make your trip an unforgettable. Amenities like dreamy private rooftop jacuzzis and an air conditioned gym will make you want to stay longer. The attached Fresco’s restaurant offers healthy food choices and the yoga palapa is a perfect place for yogis. This Tulum beach hotel is also known for having among the cleanest and best maintained beachfront in town, making it easily one of the best hotels in Tulum. That’s a real selling point, becuase Tulum beach is the target of frequent sargassum (seaweed) attacks!
- Super clean beachfront
- Free bike rental available
- Massage services offered at onsite spa
#5 – El Paraiso Hotel Tulum (Mid-Range)
If you want to stay on the beach in Tulum but don’t want to spend a fortune, your best bet is the El Paraiso Hotel Tulum. I personally stayed in this hotel a couple years ago and absolutely loved it. What makes this hotel a great choice is that it’s located directly on the main beach so you can enjoy a peaceful sunrise view before the locals come flocking in. You can also easily visit the Tulum Mayan ruins by foot or by riding a bike.
- Free access to the beach club, day beds and cabanas on the beach
- Affordable but still on the beach
- Clean rooms with patio and comfortable beds
#6 – La Valise Tulum (Luxury)
Another great option for honeymooners or those looking for an exclusive and private feel is the La Valise Tulum. It only has a few rooms so it’s the perfect place to relax and chill all you want without being conscious of other hotel guests. What makes this Tulum hotel really unique is the simple yet sophisticated aesthetics with Mexican art and culture integrated into the overall design. You can lounge around the living room or shaded garden area while enjoying the beautiful view.
- Small property with intimate feel
- Rooms with comfortable beds and outdoor shower
- Highly-rated breakfast choices
#7 – Sueños Tulum (Eco Resort)
If you’re looking for a private and cozy retreat to unwind and recharge from the busy hustle of everyday life, then Sueños Tulum is a great place hotel to pick in Tulum. Located in the Heart of Tulum’s Hotel Zone, Sueños Tulum boasts 13 beachfront suites, a Temple Penthouse and Clubhouse. There’s no beach club or public restaurant, which makes for a more private experience.
You’ll love the authentic Mayan art and culture in the beautifully hand-painted rooms. You’ll also feel at one with nature because of the surrounding trees and green scenery. As an eco resort, power is available 24/7 generated by solar panels, with limited A/C between 8 AM to 8 PM.
- Beachfront resort
- Off the grid – 24 hrs in-room solar powered electricity
- Natural cross ventilated suites where you can unwind and feel the ocean breeze
#8 – Maria Del Mar Tulum (Boutique)
If you’re looking for a hotel that has highly-rated customer service, then you could choose to stay at Maria Del Mar Tulum. With an outdoor deck, swimming pool, hammocks, daybeds, this is the perfect Tulum hotel if you just want to relax on the beach and chill out during your Mexican vacation. Definitely one of the best boutique hotels in Tulum, Mexico.
- Observation deck, and swings offer perfects spots for sunrise and sunset viewing
- Swimming pool and hammocks by the poolside are great for relaxation
- Clean, spacious and comfortable rooms
#9 – Cabañas La Luna (Boutique)
If the modern-style hotels in Tulum are not your jam, then Cabañas La Luna is a great place to stay in Tulum. The hotel buildings or rooms are technically large cabañas and are beautifully designed to give off that Mexican/Bohemian vibe. You can have breakfast with your friends or family at the open-air dining area while enjoying the ocean view. Overall, guests say its a great place to relax due to its nature-friendly atmosphere.
- Colorful and quirky rooms
- Beach beds available and reserved for guests
- Family-friendly hotel
#10 – Tata Tulum (Boutique)
Another one of the best boutique hotels in Tulum, Mexico. If you’re one of those people who can’t decide between the beach, pool, or bar, then consider staying at the Tata Tulum. The hotel sports a small hip bar next to a pool just steps from the beach. The property’s villas have a sort of rustic feel to them, but all the important amenities you’ll need to enjoy a luxurious and relaxing stay in Tulum.
- Beachside pool bar
- Relaxed, rustic vibe
- Highly-rated breakfast
#11 – Coco Hacienda Tulum (Mid-Range)
If you’d like to save some cash but still enjoy a taste of luxury, then you can choose to stay at Coco Hacienda Tulum. Located in Tulum town, it means you would need to travel a bit when you’re planning to go to the beach, but the free bike rental service largely solves this problem.
The hacienda itself has a beautiful, oasis-like garden and palapas where you can lounge and relax in. The spacious rooms have a sophisticated colonial Spanish design with a mix of modern style. This is also a great place for groups to hold and celebrate special occasions such as weddings and retreats.
- Private jacuzzi
- Relatively affordable luxury
- Two swimming pools available if you don’t feel like traveling to the beach
#12 – Alaya Tulum by Ahau Collection (Eco Hotel)
Eco conscious travelers will love Alaya Tulum and its vision of sustainability and the preservation of Mother Nature. This nature-forward attitude can be seen in the overall aesthetics of the hotel as well as the amenities. And you can have your yoga and meditation practice come morning time — which is why this is a perfect place to stay for yoga practitioners.
- Eco-friendly and clean cabins
- Yoga classes at 9 AM and 5:30 PM
- Family villas and apartments make it a perfect place for families to stay as well
#13 – KASA Hotel Parota Tulum (Apartment-Style)
KASA Hotel Parota Tulum is a larger family-friendly hotel and located between the city center and the beachfront zone. Its penthouse apartments have gorgeous infinity-edge pools. If you’re looking for a quieter place to stay that’s still easily accessible to the beach, this is a great Tulum hotel to consider.
- Free shuttle service to a local beach club
- Complimentary bike rental available
- Swim-up pool bar
- Private plunge pools in penthouse suites
#14 – Hotel Tiki Tiki Tulum (Budget)
If you’re looking for affordable boutique hotels, then Hotel Tiki Tiki Tulum might be the best hotel in Tulum for you. Admittedly it’s a bit far out of town, but you can opt to take a taxi, bring your own car, or even take a 10-min bike ride. On the plus side, it’s away from the noise of the city so you’re sure to have a peaceful and quiet stay.
- Old Miami beach vibe with a stylish modern touch
- Private terrace and in-room hammock
#15 – Posada Luna Del Sur (Budget)
The Posada Luna Del Sur is a quaint and cozy Tulum hotel that offers just about everything you could want in a Tulum hotel – if you’re cool with not having a swimming pool (but, hey, you can always visit the beach!). This Tulum hotel offers a complimentary Mexican breakfast that you can enjoy at the Posada Luna Del Surhe rooftop Palapa and the hotel is located close to the main road which gives easy access to different restaurants and shops.
- Complimentary breakfast
- Affordably priced
- Beautiful rooftop lounge area
#16 – Las Palmas Maya (Budget)
Many customer reviews of the Las Palmas Maya mention how exceptionally friendly and accommodating its manager, Tom, is. If you need any recommendations on which cenotes and local attractions to visit, best places to eat, where to lounge around on the beach, etc., reviewers say he is the best person in town to ask. The Last Palmas Maya hotel is also conveniently located just across the road from the beach and it boasts of having a good water pressure. Overall, one of the best boutique hotels in Tulum if you’re on a budget and want to be near the beach.
- 24/7 power and air conditioning every night from 8 PM – 5 AM
- Free beach access for hotel guests
- Clean and well-maintained
That’s it for this guide to the best hotels in Tulum, Mexico! From luxury hotels with a private beach to artistic boutique hotels, Tulum really spoils travelers with choice.
Before you go, be sure to check out our other guides to help you on your trip to Mexico’s Riviera Maya:
Enjoy your stay in Tulum! Oh, and here’s a pro tip (since you took the trouble to read all the way to the bottom): be sure to check out the incredible Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve while you’re in Tulum. It’s an activity not to be missed!