Digital Nomad Guides
Digital nomads are people who work remotely and live a location independent lifestyle, usually involving significant amounts of international travel.
There are many different types of nomads. Some are on a career gap year, while others live the lifestyle full time. Some are freelancers, some work “traditional” remote jobs, and others are entrepreneurs. Some digital nomads visit a new country every week, while other “slomads” stay in a location for months or even years at a time.
In this Digital Nomad Resource Center, you’ll find all the many resources and articles we’ve written over the years to help aspiring or current digital nomads.
Digital Nomad Tips
So you want to find a digital nomad job? Thanks to the remote work revolution, it’s easier than ever. Here are some tips:
- Check Out FlexJobs – It’s the #1 job board for digital nomads. Read our full FlexJobs Review for more details.
- Talk to Your Current Employer – The best digital nomad job just might be the one you already have. With the rise of remote work over the past few years, more and more employers are getting comfortable with the idea of their employees living the digital nomad life.
- Consider Freelancing – If working a traditional job isn’t right for you, consider offering your services as a freelancer.
- Or Start Your Own Business – Another route to the digital nomad life is starting your own online business. This generally requires more capital and time investment upfront, but the reward is being your own boss.
👉 Read our full guide to finding digital nomad jobs.
📍 Digital Nomad Destinations
The list of possible digital nomad destinations is as big as a map of the world. But if you’re looking for popular nomad destinations where you’ll find other nomads, here are some of the best:
- Playa del Carmen – Possibly the biggest digital nomad destination these days, and the easiest for travelers from the US.
- Bali – The original digital nomad destination is still as popular as ever.
- Chiang Mai – This city in the north of Thailand is filled with digital marketers, SEOs, and all kinds of remote workers. It’s very affordable too.
- Portugal – Perhaps the best digital nomad destination in Europe, Portugal has several residency programs that attract many nomads.
- Georgia – An underrated destination for nomads, Georgia is more off the beaten path but offers authentic culture and affordable prices.
Fitting your whole life into a suitcase or backpack can be a challenge. Here are some important items for your digital nomad packing list:
- A Good Backpack or Suitcase – The suitcase vs backpack debate is as old as time. Whatever you pick, make it a good one.
- Universal Travel Adapter – Bring along an adapter to make sure you can always stay plugged in.
- External Power Bank – The last thing you want to do is run out of power right before a big call.
- E-Reader – If you’re a big reader, books can get bulky.
- Amazon Firestick – Plug it into any modern TV, and it’s like you’re back at home, with all your favorite apps and settings already set up.
👉 Read our full packing list for digital nomads.
👉 Tips & Things to Know
There is no school for becoming a digital nomad – it’s just something you have to learn for yourself. We can help you get started with a few tips though:
- Don’t Travel Too Fast – It may be tempting to change destinations every three days, but when you’re living the nomad life, slower travel is better.
- Learn the Local Language – Even just a few words of the local language can help.
- Co-Working Spaces Are Communities – Even if you don’t like coworking, these are often the best places to find other nomads in a destination.
- Be Careful with Visas – You’re traveling to a foreign country, so it’s your responsibility to make sure you’re legally compliant. Don’t mess around with immigration rules!
📰 Digital Nomad Blog Posts
- 3 Best Digital Nomad Insurance Sites | Health & Travel, 2023
- Digital Nomad Packing List [37 Things to Bring in 2023]
- Digital Nomad Jobs (24 Best Remote Sites & Boards to Search)
- Hostel Jobs – How to Work and Travel Abroad 
- FlexJobs Review – Is It Worth It? (An Honest Take)
- 19 Best Digital Nomad Blogs and Podcasts
- 23 Digital Nomad Careers (+How to Get Started)
- 9 Tips to Be More Eco-Friendly as a Digital Nomad
- 15 Reasons Georgia is the Next Big Digital Nomad Hotspot
- I Finally Took the Nomad Cruise – Was It Worth It?
- Productivity Tips for Digital Nomads
- Becoming a Digital Nomad – My Personal Story (+5 Tips on How to Do It)