Super useful and totally free travel guides to Australia
Why We Love Australia – The Land Down Under has been long been a traveler favorite for good reason. First, let’s talk about the beaches … honestly, you will want to be careful because Australia’s might well ruin all future beaches for you. And it’s not just the famous ones like Bondi Beach or Byron Bay – Australia boasts over 25,000 kilometres of gorgeous coastline crying out for you to visit! But Australia is so much more than just beautiful beaches. City slickers will find first class urban experiences in Sydney and Melbourne, two incredible cities that couldn’t be more different from another. Outdoor types will adore all the wide open space in Australia, while adventurers will find plenty to do too. Whatever you do, consider making a road trip out of it! With so much spread out over an entire continent, the best way to get around Australia is with your own set of wheels!
Best of Australia
Australia is absolutely enormous, so don’t try to tackle it all in one go. Here are some of our favorite places to visit in Australia:
- Tasmania – An incredible island south of the mainland, filled with a variety of landscapes. Taking a Tasmania road trip is something that should be on every traveler’s list.
- Sydney – You’ll find all the trappings of a world class urban center, but an awesome amount of wildlife and green space.
- Melbourne – Australia’s second city has an entirely different vibe (and climate) than Sydney.
- McLaren Vale – One of the more underrated wine destinations on the planet.
- Newcastle – Coastal walks, beaches, and wildlife make this an underrated Australian destination.
- Gold Coast – This Australian destination is famous as a surfer’s paradise.
✨ Things to Do
- Great Barrier Reef – 2,000 miles of the world’s longest barrier reef. If you visit, be sure to leave no trace!
- Sydney Opera House – a structure that is so iconic it’s practically synonymous with Sydney.
- Uluru – a giant rock in the middle of the desert (it’s cooler than it sounds!)
- Bondi Beach – arguably one of the most famous beaches in the world, and a must-do in Australia.
- Try Tim Tams – this candy (or is it a cookie?) must be tried! You can find it literally everywhere in Australia, and almost nowhere outside the Land Down Under.
- Great Ocean Road – a scenic route taking in kilometers of Australia’s gorgeous coastline.
Australia Travel Advice
🗓️ Best Time to Visit
If beaches are your target destination, then it’s best to visit Australia during summer months. (December to February). But if you’re looking to avoid the summer heat and are aiming for more affordable flights, it’s recommended to visit anytime between September to November and between March to May.
Australia is generally a very safe place to visit. Crime rates are also very low. But it is still a good idea to check the latest US State Department travel advisories for your destination.
🤓 Facts & Info
- Population – 25.7 million
- Capital – Canberra
- Currency – Australian Dollar ($1 = ~1.52 dollars)
- Language – English
- Plugs – Type I, 230V / 50Hz.
💵 Budgeting & Money
Majority of establishments take debit/credit cards, but do bring enough cash just in case, and also for when you travel to remote towns or outback. ATMs widely available.
📰 Australia Travel Guides
Getting planning your trip to Australia with all our Australia travel guides: